The purpose of the honors program in mathematics is to stimulate the imagination and deepen the understanding of students by encouraging independent study, and to provide recognition of exceptional achievements in mathematics. Students who complete the requirements of the program graduate with honors in mathematics.
Admission. Admission to the Mathematics and Statistics Department Honors Program is granted by the Department, based on the following minimum requirements:
(1) At least 20 credit hours in major related courses, including 9 credits from:
- MATH 2241 or MATH 2120,
- MATH 2171 or MATH 2164, and
- MATH 3163 or STAT 3110.
(2) A GPA of at least 3.25 in all mathematics, statistics and operations research courses and an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
Interested students must contact the Honors Director of the Mathematics Department for admission to the program. Once the Director verifies the minimum requirements, the student must select a mathematics faculty member who is willing to serve as an honors advisor to develop a research project culminating in a thesis. The student must also choose one or two readers for the thesis. In order to graduate with honors the University requires that students be admitted to honors candidacy at least two semesters before graduation.
Curricular Requirements. Honors Seminars MATH 3790, MATH 3791.
Enrollment in MATH 3790 indicates that the student is officially enrolled in the Mathematics Honors Program. MATH 3791 must culminate in an honors thesis approved by the advisor and the readers. Please note that MATH 3791 replaces MATH 3689.
Certification Requirements. The requirements for graduation with honors are:
(1) Completion of all requirements for a major in Mathematics or Mathematics for Business with a GPA of at least 3.25 in the major.
(2) Completion of the Senior Honors Seminar (MATH 3791) with a grade of A and a GPA of 3.5 or better in both Honors Seminars.
(3) Oral presentation of the honors thesis.
(4) Recommendation by the Honors Director of the Department that the student can graduate with honors.
(5) Complete the Application to Candidacy process for graduating with Honors, as directed by the Honors College.
For more information, including the form, deadlines, and guidelines, see the Honors College page
If you have questions, please contact the Mathematics Honors Director: Dr. Arindam Roy (email@example.com).